There are lots of recipes for stamppot, using different combinations of root vegetables and greens. I opted for “boerenkool stamppot”, mainly because it used up the rest of the kale I bought for the caldo verde. Most of the recipes called for bacon, but as I was serving the stamppot with slavinken, I left it out and added some diced gouda cheese instead.
(serves 6 generously)
- 1 kg (about 4 large) floury potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 cups shredded kale
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 Tb butter
- 100g gouda cheese, cut into small pieces
- salt and pepper
- Cook the potatoes with the bayleaf in a large pot of lightly salted water until just tender.
- Drain the potatoes, reserving the cooking water, then return the potatoes to the pot, adding back about a with about a cup of the water.
- Cover the potatoes with the shredded kale, put a lid on the pot and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until the kale is tender.
- While the kale is steaming, sauté the onions in the butter until soft and golden.
- Remove the potatoes and kale from the heat. Add the onions and cooking butter, and gouda cheese. Stir to melt the cheese into the mixture, season, then give everything a good mashing.