Where have you been all my life, aloo achaar? Waiting quietly on page 50 of my well-worn copy of Madhur Jaffrey’s World of the East Vegetarian Cooking, that’s where. I must have flipped past you a hundred times on my way to the very spicy delicious chickpeas or diced potatoes with spinach recipe.
The combination of potatoes and ground sesame seeds was a revelation, and quite unlike anything I’ve eaten before. I found the dish improved the longer it sat, though it didn’t get to sit all that long. I’ll definitely double the quantities next time.
- 4 medium-sized waxy potatoes
- 4 Tb roasted sesame seeds, ground
- 3 Tb lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 fresh green chillies, seeded and finely minced (or to taste)
- 4 Tb sesame oil
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- a pinch of asafetida
- 10 whole fenugreek seeds
- 3 Tb fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender.
- Combine the sesame seeds, lemon juice, salt, chillies and sesame oil and mix well.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a metal ladle or butter warmer until very hot. Add the asafetida and fenugreek seeds.
- As soon as the fenugreek starts to darken, remove from the heat and pour the oil and spices into the dressing. Mix well, add the chopped coriander and mix again.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and peel while still hot. Dice into 3/4″ cubes, and toss with the dressing.
- Let it stand for at least half an hour before serving.