This healthy, Christmas-y (not so often you use those two adjectives to describe a dish) romanesco apple pecan salad makes a refreshing change from turkey soup and turkey sandwiches at this point in the festivities.
And aside from steaming the romanesco, it takes only minutes to put together – another point in its favour.
I serve the dressing on the side – once it is mixed through the salad, the romanesco florets are less delightfully tree-like. If romanesco isn’t available, broccoli works too.
Romanesco apple pecan salad
- 1 head romanesco, broken into florets
- 1 dessert apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup pecan halves, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 Tb cider vinegar
- 1 Tb orange juice
- 1 Tb maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Steam the romanesco florets until just tender. Run under cold water and pat dry.
- In a serving bowl, toss together the romanesco, apple, toasted pecans and cranberries.
- Whisk together the sunflower oil, cider vinegar, orange juice and maple syrup and season to taste.
- Toss the salad just before serving.