This puréed beetroot salad is another recipe from Madhur Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian cookbook that I’ve been making for years. We eat it with blini, and with oatcakes as an appetizer before our Burns Night haggis.
(makes about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large, or 2 smaller beets (about 200g)
- 4 Tb walnuts
- a slice of stale white bread, crumbled (or a small boiled potato)
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 Tb olive oil
- 2 Tb red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Boil the beetroot whole until tender (when it can be pierced with a knife).
- Allow the beetroot to cool, then peel and cut into large chunks.
- Add the beetroot to a food processor with the walnuts, bread or potato, garlic, olive oil and vinegar. Pureé until smooth.
- Season to taste.