I was surprised to notice that the recipe I’d found for chismol didn’t contain any chilli. But when I looked at a few others they had little or none, so I stuck with the version on the This is Honduras website. Nova loved this salsa, and polished off the leftovers with a spoon after we’d finished the baleadas.
(makes about a cup)
- 1/2 a white onion, minced
- 1 tomato, minced
- 1/2 a green pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup coriander, finely chopped
- a pinch of garlic powder
- juice of two limes
- Combine the onion, tomato and green pepper in a bowl. (You want to have about the same amount of all three.)
- Add the coriander, garlic powder, lime juice and salt. Mix well, then adjust the balance of lime and salt to suit your taste.
- Leave it to sit for fifteen minutes before serving for the flavours to marry.