The twelve cocktails of Christmas
#6: Cola de mono
Cola de mono (or “tail of the monkey”) is a Christmas drink from Chile. It’s pretty similar to a white Russian (or Kahlua and milk), but tastes cleaner and less cloying than my memory of that drink.
I came across the recipe in a the Sundays at the Moosewood Restaurant cookbook years ago, but this is the first time I’ve got round to making it.
- 3 cups (750ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (plus more to garnish)
- 1 Tb instant coffee (I used instant espresso powder)
- 1 cup (250ml) tequila
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a saucepan, bring the milk, sugar and cinnamon to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the coffee, stirring until it dissolves.
- Transfer to a bottle with a lid and refrigerate.
- When the mixture is cold, stir in the tequila and vanilla and chill until cold.
- Serve garnished with a cinnamon stick.