Since running out of turkey, we’ve been adding a spread of cranberry sauce to our grilled cheese sandwiches. But at the rate it was going, we’d have been eating cranberry sauce in April…
So I decided to knock the rest of it off by making cranberry oat muffins for breakfast this morning. I just substituted a cup of cranberry sauce for the usual mashed banana in my oatmeal muffin recipe.
I never bake on weekday mornings – certainly not before school – and the family was gratifyingly surprised and impressed with my efforts.
Cranberry oatmeal muffins
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (plus a bit extra to sprinkle on top)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cranberry sauce, oil, egg and milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between twelve greased (or lined) muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with the additional oats.
- Bake for twenty minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for five minutes before serving.