This is my mum’s oatcake recipe. She used to divide the dough into four, roll each piece into an 8″ circle, then cut it into quarters before baking. I prefer to make round oatcakes using a biscuit cutter.
(makes about 30)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk or water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add just enough liquid to form a dough.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to a thickness about 1/4 cm.
- Cut out circles of dough and place on a floured baking tray.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until starting to brown. Cool on a wire rack.