I’ve been taking things easy on the drinks front since our cocktail-tastic Christmas. But as the end of a busy work week loomed, the thought of a TGIF cocktail was pretty tempting.
The Manhattan has only three ingredients – rye whiskey, sweet vermouth and bitters. As a Canadian, I have a nostalgic fondness for Canadian Club, but there are a lot of rye whiskeys to choose from these days, and bourbon works as well.
- 1/2 cup (125ml) rye or bourbon
- 1/4 cup (62ml) sweet vermouth
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 maraschino cherries
- Chill two martini glasses.
- Combine the rye whiskey, sweet vermouth and Angostura bitters in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well and strain into the cocktail glasses.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.