Mini meringues are a great favourite with the girls – both making and eating them. For years it was deemed necessary to dye these mini meringues pink, but we’re finally moving past the “all things pink” phase. This recipe comes from our well-worn Usbourne Activity book of Fairy Cooking. It has proved to be pretty much foolproof, producing lovely little meringues (pink or otherwise) with crunchy exteriors and chewy centres regardless of the amount of “help” involved.
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 100g (4 oz) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 225°F (110°C). Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Whisking steadily, slowly add the sugar.
- Scoop teaspoons of meringue onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Turn off the oven, leaving the meringues inside – without opening the oven door – for fifteen minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave the meringues to cool on the baking trays.