Sweet potato and black bean tacos are currently the “go-to” taco around here. Last year was all about fish tacos, but the tilapia I favoured has vanished from the fish counter, for one thing.
Also, we are make a conscious effort to have more meat-free dinners each week, and these are helping with that ambition.
I usually whip up some guacamole to serve with these tacos. A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt is nice too.
Sweet potato and black bean tacos
- 1 Tb sunflower oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tb chipotle paste
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (2 tins)
- salt and pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, over a medium-low flame. Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the sweet potato, and cook for five minutes more.
- Whisk together the chipotle paste, maple syrup and lime juice, then add to the pan along with the black beans.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is cooked through, adding a little water if the mixture starts to stick. Remove from the heat, adjust the seasoning, cover and set aside.
- Heat a cast-iron frying pan over a high flame. Dry fry the tortillas on each side until they start to brown and blister.
- Place a dollop of filling in the centre of each tortilla, sprinkle with coriander leaves, fold in half and serve.