With its croutons and shavings of Parmesan, this simple salad is reminiscent of a Caesar, but the fennel takes it somewhere new.
It’s a much fresher affair, and one of my favourite lunches when I’m working from home.
I keep the dressing to a minimum so as not to overwhelm the tender salad leaves.
Fennel and mixed leaf salad
- 2 Tb olive oil
- a thick slice of sourdough bread, cubed
- 1 fennel bulb
- juice of half a lemon
- 50g mixed salad leaves
- 20g Parmesan, grated or shaved
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium flame. Add the bread, and sauté until crisp and golden.
- Trim the fennel, and slice crosswise as thinly as possible. Transfer to a serving bowl, and toss with the lemon juice.
- Add the salad leaves and croutons, and toss again.
- Season with salt and pepper, garnish with Parmesan shavings and serve.