Welsh rarebit, should possible have gone for something with a more clearly English, but I didn’t… This Guardian article on Welsh rarebit was a good source of info, and I mostly followed their recipe. Couldn’t believe we could need as much cheese topping as the recipes suggested, and even after cutting it back quite a bit, I had more than enough. Served it with a watercress and avocado salad that I found on Epicurious.
- 2 Tb butter
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 3 Tb stout
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 slices bread
- 1 egg yolk
1. Melt the butter in a small pot. Stir in the mustard powder until smooth, then add the Worcestershire sauce.
2. Add the cheese and stir until melt, but do not let it come to the boil. When you have a smooth sauce, remove from the heat, season to taste, and cool until just warm.
3. Toast the bread on both sides under a medium grill. Whisk the egg yolks into the cheese, spoon the mixture onto the toast and cook until bubbling. Serve immediately.
Family score: 8.5 out of 10