I make these baked peaches every summer without fail. They take only ten minutes to prep, smell wonderful while cooking, and are delicious warm or cold. I also enjoy the cleverness of adding an edible “pit”. Elizabeth David includes this dish in Italian Food, but my version is based on the recipe in Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant.
- 1/2 cup (50g) ground almonds
- 12 small amaretti biscuits, crushed
- 2 Tb sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 Tb marsala
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the almonds, amaretti biscuits and sugar.
- Stir in the egg yolk to produce a thick, sticky mixture. Form into eight little balls.
- Arrange the peach halves, cut side up, in a shallow baking dish. Lightly press a ball into the centre of each peach half, dot with butter and drizzle with marsala.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the almond mixture is golden and firm. Serve warm or cool with a spoonful of creme fraiche.