A simple salad of grilled peppers is the traditional accompaniment Portuguese grilled sardines. While some recipes dress the salad with red wine vinegar, I prefer to allow the flavour of the vegetables to come through.
The peppers and onion can either be grilled on the barbeque, or roasted on a baking sheet in a hot oven. If you make grilled pepper salad in advance, be sure serve it at room temperature (or even warm) to bring out the flavours.
Grilled pepper salad (salada de pimentos assados)
- 4 large peppers (red or green)
- 1 large onion, cut crosswise into thick slices
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Roast the peppers over a hot grill (or in a hot oven), turning occasionally. When the skins are black, pop them into a sealed plastic bag for ten minutes to make them easy to peel.
- Lightly oil the onion slices, and grill (or roast) until softened.
- De-seed the peppers, rinse, dry and cut into long slices.
- Toss with the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.