I fired up the barbeque for first time this season to grill these sardines for our dinner. You can fry sardines in a grill pan or in a hot oven, but they are so much nicer cooked over an open flame.
These were delicious served with a squeeze of lemon, some crusty Portuguese bread and the traditional grilled pepper salad. The only possible improvements would have been a seaside table and a chilled glass of vinho verde.
Grilled sardines (sardinhas assadas)
- fresh sardines, cleaned (2-3 per person)
- olive oil
- Maldon salt
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Get your barbeque good and hot. Brush the grill lightly with oil.
- Pat the sardines dry with paper towel, then rub them with oil.
- Place the sardines on the grill and cook for a few minutes each side until seared and crispy, turning carefully to avoid tearing the skin.
- Serve, sprinkled with Maldon salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.